Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Kobe, LeBron, or........



D Wade?


Ok... The ongoing battle in my family is the Kobe debate. Love him or hate him? There is usually a wall up between lovers and haters. One does not understand the others side because the feeling is so strong.


I have never personally been a Lakers fan, but enjoyed the days of Kobe/Shaq Championship greatness. When Kobe and Shaq fell apart, I had to choose a side. I chose to ride with Shaq, and it just so happened that I moved to Miami a couple of years before Shaq went to the Heat. I had already made Miami my home and because I didnt have a favorite NBA team, the Heat filled that void. I would say it was perfect timing because I would attend Heat games simply to enjoy NBA basketball when they drafted this kid named Dwyane Wade.


All of the hype for the 2003 NBA draft was surrounded around LeBron James. LeBron has never disappointed me with his phenomenal dunks and hot crossovers, but he was supposed to do that. After all, he was the #1 draft pick and went to the NBA straight from high school. He is nice!


Kobe and the Lakers were still on the west coast doing their thing. They had their share of ups and downs, but I was happy to be in South Florida, filling my shoes as a new, proud Miami Heat fan. I never watched Wade while he was playing at Marquette. What a pleasant surprise it was the first time I watched him hustle from coast-to-coast. A couple years later they won the 2006 Championship!! It was a beautiful time.


There has been MVP talk surrounding all three of these players. Lets compare:

08-09 Points Per Game Total
1. Dwyane Wade 29.9
2. LeBron James 28.6
3. Kobe Bryant 27.5

Assists
6. Dwyane Wade
7. LeBron James
25. Kobe Bryant

Free Throws
1. LeBron James
2. Dwyane Wade
6. Kobe Bryant

Steals
2. Dwyane Wade 2.23
6. LeBron James
13. Kobe Bryant

Total Efficiency Points
1. LeBron James
2. Dwyane Wade
5. Kobe Bryant


I'm all about an athlete making his team better and being a team player. Who do you think does the best job of that? Granted the Cavaliers and Lakers may have better records than the Heat, but its not due to lack of great effort. One man cannot win the game by himself. Thats just the truth. As individual players, they are each making the game of basketball more exciting to watch and setting a higher standard for future stars to live up to.


Now I would call myself a King James fan. I like his game a lot. I cant take anything away from Kobe, because he is one of the best that has played the game, but don't sleep on D Wade! When I first saw him, I knew he was special and I'm glad I was able to witness this young skillful and powerful player prove himself as many doubted him. Dwyane Wade is my favorite NBA player.


I'm just saying. Am I the only one that has love for D Wade?

1 comment:

  1. D. Wade has been great but I think LeBron James might actually be the most valuable of the 3 to his team. Statistically, LeBron wins also wins out. D. Wade is great and normally would win but it looks like it is LBJ's time now. The best way to really resolve this question is for the NBA to give out the MVP trophies after the Finals. That way we can see who takes his team farther.

    ReplyDelete